Sunday, September 1, 2013

Product Reviews: Prima "Every Day Vintage" Paintables

For today's product review, I bring you Prima's Paintables from the "Every Day Vintage" collection.  This was a product that was new to me, so I decided to pick up a pack and give the cards a try.

These come in a package of 16 pieces (two each of eight designs) and they retail between $4.99 -$5.50.  They come in three different design packs and the cards come in two sizes (3" x 4" and 4" x 6"), which are the ideal size for Project Life.



These cards are buff-colored and heavy duty with a texture similar to watercolor paper, though not as thick.  But since they are touted as being "paintable," I decided to start with basic, cheapy watercolors.


The paper held up beautifully!  It stayed flat and didn't curl up or shred at all.  Here's the post-painting pic:



After the watercolors worked well, I decided to throw everything I had at this paper.  In the lower left corner, I hit it with two spritzes of Dylusions ink spray (Calypso Teal and Fresh Lime), then followed it up with several layers of stamping (Stampendous Music Score stamp and 7 Gypsies text stamp) and even added some Gesso and acrylic paint.  I used some Recollections alphabet stamps (bought at Michaels) to create the sentiment and stamped a pair of glasses on our distinguished lady using a stamp set from We R Memory Keepers.  I used Ranger Jet Black archival ink and Tim Holtz Black Soot distress ink for the sentiment and to ink around the edges.



All in all, I give this product two thumbs up.  The paper is not invincible (it did get a bit wavy after I hit it with the spritz ink, but I sprayed it at close range and did the spritzes right on top of each other...pretty wet stuff no matter what kind of paper you're using).  But it held up extremely well and I love the images and the vintage look.

Another thing I liked about this product is that it was a good combo of ready-made art and personal art.  I didn't have to do all the work, but the cards were blank enough to let me alter them however I wanted.  The convenient size also makes them easy to turn into a quick gift card or tag.

Lastly, on some subconscious level, I found these cards relaxing to work with.  As I painted inside the lines, it reminded me of all those carefree painting days of childhood.  I didn't have to overthink or stress; I just painted and was happy to follow the lines for once.


Here's a link where you can check out these paintables yourself if they look like something you'd enjoy: Prima Everyday Vintage Paintables.